The Scone Golf Club was reformed in 1946 after being disbanded in 1941 because of World War 2. The land that the course occupied at that time on the eastern side of town was sold for housing for the workforce for the construction of Glenbawn Dam.
A meeting attended by 19 men and 6 women was held in March 1946 to re form the Club. The Club returned to White Park in Scone, a site that it had previously occupied before the First World War, but had been considered unsuitable at the end of the war. Mr Geo Mayo the course supervisor at The Lakes Golf Links in Sydney was engaged to plan the 9 hole layout. Play continued on temporary greens for two years because of drought before the course was ready for play. Over the years little changed until the early 1970’s when alternate tees for each nine were added.
The Clubhouse has under gone various improvements and extensions over time.
There have been a number of significant changes to the golf course. The Scone Racecourse, which was located inside the golf course and created many interesting challenges with barriers, moved to the edge of the town in 1994. This has allowed for more trees to be planted and a number of mounds to be added to the course. Three man made dams were created in 1997 to store water for use on the course, and these have made an impact to the playing of a number of holes.
In 2003 three new bridges were erected over Parsons Gully which runs through the course. These allow play to be continued during times of heavy rain.
In May 2015 Scone Golf Club amalgamated with Scone RSL Club and now operates as a sub-club of The Scone RSL Group. Scone RSL Club operates two licensed venues, the RSL Club in Guernsey Street and Scone Sporties in Aberdeen Street (the old Golf Club premises).
Scone Golf Course was totally re-developed due to the construction of the Scone Bypass road. The new course was opened in May 2019 and the bypass road opened in March 2020. The old course was closed in September 2017. The result is a 9 hole course with alternate tees for the back 9. The course has been designed to maintain a significant number of mature gums and thousands of new trees have been planted. Near the club house is a large practice putting green, a chipping area and green, a practice bunker and two hitting nets.